The article discusses the choice between Azure SQL Database and SQL Server in a Azure VM.
Azure SQL Database
- Best for: Applications that need elastic scale and/or reduced overhead
- Resources: Customer does not want to add additional IT resources for support and maintenance.
- TCO benefits: Avoid CAPEX and OPEX
- Scalability: Scale out to thousands of DBs, process TBs of OLTP data.
SQL Server in a VM
- Best for: Existing applications that require full box product functionality
- Resources: Customer has ecosystem of IT resources for support and maintenance.
- TCO benefits: Removing CAPEX
- Scalability: Scale up to 20,000 IOPS